Who doesn’t love Gabriel’s Oboe? It really is beautiful.
Luckily for you (and me), this piece is currently on the ABRSM Grade 6 syllabus. That’s brilliant news, and please please PLEASE do add this piece to your repertoire if you’ve never played it before… We don’t want to encourage Arrangers to keep putting the best oboe parts on flute… ⬇️
Grr… Anyway, assuming you are looking at this post because you’re learning the oboe part, here are my top tips.
Gabriel’s Oboe – Top Tips
- Watch your tuning – especially on those As! And also as you go into the higher register.
- Don’t move too quickly on the turns
- Don’t play this piece too loud. The piano part is simple, so your sound will project over the top no matter how lyrically you play.
- Listen to lots of recordings and try to imitate the style you like the most.
- Don’t worry too much about getting the rhythm exactly perfect – you can afford to use rubato in this piece, and pull the tempo around a bit.
I hope you enjoy my video! 🙂 Feel free to share it if you do!